Wednesday, August 7, 2019

SMALL MERCIES. By Bryn Fortey


“I’m grateful for small mercies,”
I said to Will Mayo
An American Facebook friend
I will never meet in person

“That’s what our lives are made of,”
He came back with
And he wasn’t wrong
Small mercies  
Tiny victories
Tiny losses

Will appears to lead
A solitary existence
With cat and books
Reading and writing
While trying to make sense
Of an unfathomable universe 

He seems quietly content
With this lifestyle
Whether forced or evolved
Accepting the limits
That human frailty
Places on us all

Entering now my eighth decade
Learning to cope
With failing bits and pieces
I laugh at both losses and victories
And gratefully accept small mercies

Friends and family help a lot







Bryn Fortey is a veteran writer from Wales in the UK. Widely published
over the years, he has had two collections published by The Alchemy 
Press, both featuring a mix of short stories and poetry. He is grateful that
in old age he is still able to put pen to paper and finger to keyboar

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLACKBALLED by Cindy Rosmus

1979 “You see that?” I asked my roommate, Juanita. “Or am I crazy?” As Juanita peered around the dining hall, Katie got closer.   “’Ju...