Saturday, October 31, 2020

October 27th by Alyssa Trivett

A few days before Halloween,
I putt putt my boxcar to work
before the vampires are up.
Boulevard reeks of
a restaurant smoking section
from '94 mixed in with
unwashed cut-off jeans.
As the day begins, 
we lift our coffee cups
up to the Van Gogh yellow sunrise.
I count sweating clock ticks until I can leave.
Before I know it, I'll be heading home,
pulling into the winner's circle driveway.
My neighbor's prop skeletons 
always seem to greet me;
swaying back and forth, 
snapping like a broken slingshot
in the middle of study hall boredom.
We envy the sun 
and evening suddenly switches on.



'


Alyssa Trivett is a wandering soul from the Midwest. When not working two jobs, she chirps down coffee while scrawling lines. Her work has appeared in many places, but most recently at Ex Ex Lit, and Duane's PoeTree site.




No comments:

Post a Comment

BLACKBALLED by Cindy Rosmus

1979 “You see that?” I asked my roommate, Juanita. “Or am I crazy?” As Juanita peered around the dining hall, Katie got closer.   “’Ju...