Saturday, November 10, 2018

Old Jim. by R.M. Engelhardt



Years ago
I heard
Old Jim
Harrison
Read at 
The college
A sinner
Among
The saints
The kids
Had most 
Likely only
Seen Legends
Of The Fall
With Brad Pitt
As the romantic
 Lead 

Jim
Told old
Stories
Some of
The kids
Laughed
But had
No idea
What the hell
He was talking
About  & Jim
Seemed
A bit
Distracted

He read
A poem
And then
Suddenly
Stopped
In mid 
Pause

Looked
Around 
The room
And said

Intermission!

I need a fuckin smoke

Yer all welcome
To join me

So I did

Jim forgot
His lighter
And so I 
Lit up his
Cigarette
With my
Zippo
And he nodded
His head
Looked at me
And said

You're a writer
Aren't you?

I nodded back

He smiled

And that
Was all the
Inspiration

I ever needed









Talon (R.M. Engelhardt) is a poet/author minister who over the last 20 years has been published in such journals as Thunder Sandwich, Full of Crow, Rusty Truck, Writers’ Resist, Dry Land Lit, Rye Whiskey Review, Hobo Camp Review & many others. He currently lives & writes in upstate NY where he hosts a monthly open mic called “The Troy Poetry Mission”

http://www.rmengelhardt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLACKBALLED by Cindy Rosmus

1979 “You see that?” I asked my roommate, Juanita. “Or am I crazy?” As Juanita peered around the dining hall, Katie got closer.   “’Ju...