Friday, November 8, 2019

a wet night in brooklyn smelling some asshole’s cigarette…again. By John Grochalski



he sits there on the stoop
in front of my bedroom window
like a bad statue, smoking

playing on his cell phone of course

i’ll admit it is raining, sprinkling really
and this is probably the only shelter for a block

but i’m drunk
and i don’t care

it may not have been the best opening salvo
to lean out my window and shout

hey asshole, you and your cigarette
get it the fuck out of here

but the consumption of alcohol
has never blessed me with tact

his response of, it’s a free country, shithead
didn’t surprise me

people find patriotism in the oddest of acts

maybe i shouldn’t have
followed him up with

shithead?
oh, you wanna step, motherfucker? let’s step

and then proceeded to put my shoes on
while calling him a dirty russian

blaming him for the election of 2016

especially since he was already up
and walking away down the street

but…again…patriotism

really
i’m glad my wife was there
to chase me down
just as i was opening the front door

she’s more sensible about these things

and she knows
that at my age

i’ve gone more
from the ass-kicker
to the ass-kicky

it’s just the simple fact of getting older

let’s just go to bed, she said
which seemed a reasonable request

and i kicked my shoes off
and i followed her back down the hallway

the scent of that bastard’s cigarette
still lingering in our room

as cars
and people
and dogs
and my wife’s snores
all permeated the streetlamp night

while i laid there
wide-awake, festering

consumed with violence
but ultimately wondering


was that asshole even russian?







John Grochalski is the author of the poetry collections, The Noose Doesn’t Get Any Looser After You Punch Out (Six Gallery Press 2008), Glass City (Low Ghost Press, 2010), In The Year of Everything Dying (Camel Saloon, 2012), Starting with the Last Name Grochalski (Coleridge Street Books, 2014), and The Philosopher’s Ship (Alien Buddha Press, 2018). He is also the author of the novels, The Librarian (Six Gallery Press 2013), and Wine Clerk (Six Gallery Press 2016).  Grochalski currently lives in Brooklyn, New York, where the garbage can smell like roses if you wish on it hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLACKBALLED by Cindy Rosmus

1979 “You see that?” I asked my roommate, Juanita. “Or am I crazy?” As Juanita peered around the dining hall, Katie got closer.   “’Ju...