Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Uncle Frank on the One-Seven-Two. By John Doyle


I told them ‘bout you, Frank
when the lock-in started;
some pulled out rifles,
some pulled their pants down
showed scars
they claimed happened in Harlem,
or from the cobra’s jaws
making good on unpaid debts.
Who cares.
I showed them that photo of you, Frank -
standing by the cab of the 172,
engineer's hat eclipsing the sun.
They put their guns away,
pulled their pants up,
stood to attention.
Your Uncle Frankie drove the 172?
Damn fucking sure Frankie drove the 172.
Ah, maybe you want to go back to sleep now, Frank.
I'll prop that pillow up for you,
tell the doctors I’ve only just arrived.





John Doyle became a Mod again in the summer of 2017 to fight off his impending mid-life crisis; whether this has been a success remains to be seen. He has has two collections published to date, A Stirring at Dusk in 2017, and Songs for Boys Called Wendell Gomez in 2018, both on PSKI's Porch.

He is based in Maynooth, County Kildare, Ireland. All he asks is that you leave your guns at the door and tie up your horses before your enter.



No comments:

Post a Comment

BLACKBALLED by Cindy Rosmus

1979 “You see that?” I asked my roommate, Juanita. “Or am I crazy?” As Juanita peered around the dining hall, Katie got closer.   “’Ju...