Thursday, November 15, 2018

Who’s On First. by James Babbs



I told her
I didn’t usually buy drinks
for attractive women
but for her
I was willing to make an exception
she laughed
and told me thank you
she said
I don’t usually take drinks
from strange men
well I said
my name’s Jim
what’s yours?
Tamara she said
I said oh
you don’t want to tell me today
Tamara she said again
I said okay
I can wait
my name’s Tamara she said
louder than before
she flashed me a look
then I saw the light come on
and I liked the way
it sparkled in her eyes
oh she said
I get it now
you’re funny
and she sipped her drink
yeah I said
but looks aren’t everything
oh no she said
but she laughed anyway
it wasn’t the first time
I’d used that line
and I knew
it probably wouldn’t be the last






James Babbs likes the night life but he doesn’t like to boogie.  James has written hundreds of poems and a few short stories over the years and has even had a few of them published.  If you happen to visit the internet you may find something he has written.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLACKBALLED by Cindy Rosmus

1979 “You see that?” I asked my roommate, Juanita. “Or am I crazy?” As Juanita peered around the dining hall, Katie got closer.   “’Ju...