Friday, January 4, 2019

A Little Horse by James Babbs


I asked her
why couldn’t the pony talk
and she told me
I was drunk
I said
that might be true
but it still doesn’t
answer the question
she sighed
it was the same sigh I’d heard
so many times before
the one she used
when she was really annoyed
hey I said
I’m just having a good time
she said oh
I know
I took another drink from my beer
what’s wrong with that
I asked
not a thing she said
but she didn’t look at me
I laughed
and looked down
at the bottle in my hand
I took another drink
because I said
he was a little horse
she said what
and I laughed again
she let another sigh slip
from her beautiful lips
that’s why the pony couldn’t talk
I said
and I laughed again
she grabbed some of the empties
scattered on the floor
I heard them hitting together
when she walked out of the room








James Babbs likes the night life but he doesn’t like to boogie.  James has written hundreds of poems and a few short stories over the years and has even had a few of them published.  If you happen to visit the internet you may find something he has written.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLACKBALLED by Cindy Rosmus

1979 “You see that?” I asked my roommate, Juanita. “Or am I crazy?” As Juanita peered around the dining hall, Katie got closer.   “’Ju...