Sunday, July 21, 2019

THE TRANSDENDER DOG. By Bryn Fortey




When Suzy, my last cat, died
I swore there would be
No more pets
I had inherited her from my son
When nobody else
Offered her a home
But my advancing years
Made it seem unfair
When a new pet
Would probably outlive me

My wife was very much an animal-lover
But with a strong preference for cats
So it had been 50+ years
Since I’d lost my last dog, Vicky
A German shepherd who had been
Both friend and pet during
All my teenage years, and more

“You know you’d love another dog, dad.”
My daughter can be very insistent
And planned her campaign well
Pointing out that in the case of my demise
She would take over full responsibility 
Since it would be a shared pet from the start 

Why she went for a Shar Pei pup I don’t know
A little wrinkled boy she named Caesar
And he was absolutely wonderful
Chewing every chair leg he could reach
And crying pitifully if left alone
But loving his human family with a passion

Then our little boy dog
Came into season
Though sold as a male
It turned out Caesar was really Cleo all the time
Which makes no difference to us or her





Bryn Fortey is a veteran writer from Wales in the UK. Widely published
over the years, he has had two collections published by The Alchemy 
Press, both featuring a mix of short stories and poetry. He is grateful that
in old age he is still able to put pen to paper and finger to keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLACKBALLED by Cindy Rosmus

1979 “You see that?” I asked my roommate, Juanita. “Or am I crazy?” As Juanita peered around the dining hall, Katie got closer.   “’Ju...