Saturday, August 10, 2019

I USED TO BE THIN by John Tustin

I used to be thin
With that little indentation in my sternum and everything
But I never got a chance to enjoy it.
I hardly remember it.

Now I come from the shower
With this red bath towel around my middle
That now protrudes
Further than my chin.

The funny thing is
That I am less embarrassed to be naked now
Than I have ever been in my life.
It makes no sense.

Don’t get me wrong –
I don’t mind your belly, I just don’t like mine.
However, at this point I am beyond shame –
So, if you show me yours,

I’ll show you mine.




John Tustin is tired of trying to write third person bios. fritzware.com/johntustinpoetry contains links to his published poetry online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLACKBALLED by Cindy Rosmus

1979 “You see that?” I asked my roommate, Juanita. “Or am I crazy?” As Juanita peered around the dining hall, Katie got closer.   “’Ju...