Friday, November 29, 2019

Black Friday blues By Alex Z. Salinas


The best thing is when you
Put on a security guard jacket
And customers stare at you
As though you’re an idiot 

This happened during a Black
Friday I worked in college, 
At Sears, and I often long
To don that jacket

Again so people would
Leave me to my dimwit
Ways guarding nothing, 
Getting steps in, counting 

The minutes till I go home
And hate the world on my own
Time, time, time—that clockwork 
Rooster keeping me up

Thinking about turkey and
Mashed potatoes and dead 
Relatives and stomped-on  
Shoppers who, dare I say, 

Played with the stove
And set themselves ablaze. 




Alex Z. Salinas lives in San Antonio, Texas. His full-length poetry collection, WARBLES, Is out now released by Hekate Publishing .

He is poetry editor of the San Antonio Review, and his short fiction has appeared in numerous publications online.




No comments:

Post a Comment

BLACKBALLED by Cindy Rosmus

1979 “You see that?” I asked my roommate, Juanita. “Or am I crazy?” As Juanita peered around the dining hall, Katie got closer.   “’Ju...